[AusNOG] /16 for sale.... well not really but why not!

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellego.net
Fri Jan 25 17:07:38 EST 2013

One of the things that has been pointed out at the APNIC conferences, and
is brought up regularly is that: Releasing ranges back to the pool is if
little or no use.

Even if 10 /16's were released back to APNIC... firstly, APNIC policy
doesn't allow them to be allocated... I think they are actually handed back
to IANA.

Let's say that is the case... they go to IANA... lets pretend IANA could
collect a couple of /8's or more and give them back to the RIR's
for distribution.

APNIC could be given 100 /16's tomorrow and they would disappear in the
blink of an eye.  Not because of any greed, but due to legitimate
requirements of some VERY fast growing economies.

I believe, as do many of the others who go to the APNIC conferences, that
it is better to stick with the current run-out process and force people to
move to IPv6, rather than putting band-aids by trying to extend IPv4 are
the RIR level.

There are short term solutions already:

- Get your final /22
- New companies can get a /22
- You buy some IPv4 of the open market
- You invest in CGN/LSN to extend the life of your v4 (not an 'alternative'
that some stupid journalists suggested in the last week)
- You roll-out IPv6/Dual-Stack/etc faster and start shifting those you can

...Skeeve

*

*
*Skeeve Stevens, CEO - *eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – IBM - Brocade - Cloud
-----
Check out our Juniper promotion website!  eintellego.mx