[AusNOG] A Network Operator (was: Superloop NBN Outage)

david at hughes.id david at hughes.id
Tue Jan 18 12:09:22 AEDT 2022

Regarding the disagreement in the original thread about our definition of a "Network Operator", please let me have a go at providing some clarity.

If you simply purchase network link(s) from a provider on a retail basis then in the context of AusNOG you are an "end user".  Perhaps you are a sophisticated end user or even a reseller, but an end user none the less.  I appreciate that some people may purchase multiple retail links to form some connectivity between locations, but that would still be a customer of a network operator.

A network operator is responsible for the actual carriage of data during all or part of it's journey from the source to the destination.  Carriage Service Providers (such as VoIP providers and non-carrier ISPs) are viewed as Network Operators in our context as they are responsible for traffic as it passes through their infrastructure from the source and / or destination carrier networks.

That said, we do have many, many "end users" on the list who see great value in the content and the visibility into the operation and availability of our nation's networks.  They are most welcome on the list but clearly questions about individual retail services would be better asked of the provider selling the service.

And if you wish to debate this then please do so off-list.  Hopefully that won't be necessary, but it certainly wouldn't add value for the thousands of people on the list.

Regards,

David