[AusNOG] NBN Price drops

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Dec 14 11:47:27 EST 2017

Their billing model is still “port speed based on line rate, aggregation based on peak CIR”, so it’s still completely broken.

All they’ve done is fiddle around at the margins of the magnitude of the breakage.

Wake me up when they’re serious enough to bill aggregation on a flat-rate-per-port pricing model. Their costs don’t vary with consumed bandwidth, so there’s no reason (other than politics) why their price should.

You people (ISP industry) need to be angrier about this. Every dollar of profit NBNco makes is a dollar of profit that’s been expropriated from your bottom line. When NBNco says they have a plan to increase ARPU, MPs should be able to hear your enraged screaming from Canberra. They’re just using fancy language to describe how they’re going to transfer wealth out of your industry and in to NBNco, eventually to be owned by Telstra.

  - mark