[AusNOG] FW: Perth Optus <-> Telstra connectivity issues? Anybody else?

Mark Dignam mark at innaloo.net
Thu Dec 14 01:50:15 EST 2017

Just tossing it out there, seeing if I'm the only one.  since say midday-ish
Perth time (that's +0800 for those of you not in the best State of
Australia... IMHO) my Optus link has not been reachable from Telstra
clients.

Optus say (yeah, right) there is no issue.

If I ping from my Optus BGP peer ip to the Telstra Peer ip, no reply - BUT,
a tcpdump shows the packet getting to the telstra IP and being sent back.

If I ping from my Telstra bgp peer ip to the Optus peer ip. No reply. And
nothing on the tcpdump.

>From the Telstra traceroute to the Optus BGP peer IP, no response. Trying
various looking glasses shows various responses.. basicly, if it hits
AS1221, the packets get dropped.

Any ideas? I'm very confused as to whats causing it.

But for right now, I have to leave my BGP adverts disabled.  <sigh>

Mark.