[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Fri Oct 31 09:50:43 EST 2014

An ISP provided mailbox is a PITA - a single domain with so many email
address' on it becomes a hassle. You have people wanting 3+ mailboxes
for all their family, then the hassle of when they move away from your
services they want to keep their mailbox or have a forwarder so you have
to maintain that (for a small fee) which over time builds you up to many
hundreds or thousands of mailboxes to manage, backup and actually
process the work-load for. This is after the argument that they dont
want to pay any money and want to move everything over to new provider
then eventually come back realising they need our help to keep their
email address alive.

Big domains like that are also more targeted for SPAM. Our biggest ISP
domain name we use accounts for 50% of our SPAM I'd say. 1 Domain in
hundreds, counting for 50% of the work our spam filters have to do.

Sure if you want to buy a domain and buy a hosting package I'm all for
it and will help you, as thats at least semi-portable for the customer,
and a decent profit margin for the service, but we've stopped creating
*new* ISP domain emails and are suggesting gmail for personal use.