[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Oct 31 13:26:43 EST 2014

On 31/10/2014 08:50, Joseph Goldman wrote:

> An ISP provided mailbox is a PITA - a single domain with so many email
> address' on it becomes

As one whos been doing that for about 20 yrs, including for ISP's, its
only a hassle if you are doing it wrong.

> a hassle. You have people wanting 3+ mailboxes for all their family,
> then the hassle of when

thats what portal scripts/hooks are for, and if they leave, tough, it
all goes when the close date hits, its how its been done everywhere I've
worked and been with as end user.

> Big domains like that are also more targeted for SPAM. Our biggest ISP
> domain name we use

Welcome to the internet, but if you do it right, your anti spam software
workload can be reduced by a huge margin, SPF, multi DBSBLs, DNS+rDNS
enforcement (that kills greater than 70% of the crap- and no its not my
problem if some jackass doesnt know how to make sure their mail server
has good DNS), I also nuke things that sound like dynamic addresses, and
a few more tricks.