[AusNOG] CloudFlare: The Relative Cost of Bandwidth Around the World

Ben Grubb bgrubb at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Wed Aug 27 01:17:19 EST 2014

$200/Mbps isn't the real figure.

>From the post: "We don't disclose exactly what we pay for transit, but I
can give you a relative sense of regional differences. To start, let's
assume as a benchmark in North America you'd pay a blended average across
all the transit providers of $10/Mbps. In reality, we pay less than that,
but it can serve as a benchmark, and keep the numbers round as we compare
regions. If you assume that benchmark, for every 1,000Mbps (1Gbps) you'd
pay $10,000/month (again, acknowledge that’s higher than reality, it’s just
an illustrative benchmark and keeps the numbers round, bear with me)."

So he's just using $10 as a starting for North America and saying whatever
the actual figure is it's 20x that here.

In reality It's probably a difference of $1/Mbps to $20/Mbps.

It's a 1:20 ratio is his point

Regards,
Ben Grubb