[AusNOG] Fwd: LulzSec Leader Arrested in Sydney - One of our

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 22:25:24 EST 2013

Open or closed, there are good arguments for both. We all have the
responsibility to ensure sensitive or embarrassing information does not get
into the wrong hands, and that good discussion of situations are not
misused or misreported (journos, that is more specific to you, don't forget
the Australian Press Council General Statement of Principles).
On one hand, there is the argument that the list have a closed membership,
to avoid off-topic discussions and to foster open discussion of more
sensitive issues that the general public might not really need to know
about.
On the other hand, there is the argument to have an open membership, as
anyone who obeys the charter shouldn't have any issues and those that
disobey can be dealt with. This gives a wider and richer diversity to the
audience on the list, and allows for more fruitful discussions where the
lines between networking, servers, and general IT blur.

As for me, I am here to learn. I mostly lurk so I can stay informed and up
to date, and also see what goes on in the medium to large scale networking
world. I do not have an AS, and at times when I am between jobs (such as at
the moment) I don't even have access to a decent network or enterprise gear
to work on. But I do believe in learning from the best, and being
subscribed here is one of the many ways I seek to do exactly that. I would
hope that this list remains a place where good quality discussion can take
place, because if all that gets locked up in a closed membership list,
people like me who want to learn will end up locked out.

Again back to the various media people (journos etc) on the list, I have no
problem with any of them being here, if they are here to learn and
understand. If however they are here simply mining this for quotes and not
following good journalism practice, consider what a pity it would be to
destroy what makes this place great by frightening everyone into silence.
Yes, things said on the internet can be considered fair game, but please be
considerate of the knock-on effects of what your reporting could be to
those who gave you the ability to earn a dollar today. This community is
small and pretty tight-knit, so any comment can (and usually will) be
traced back to an individual.

Giles