[AusNOG] That list

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Mar 19 16:14:27 EST 2009

On 19/03/2009, at 3:21 PM, Duncan Maitland wrote:

> If I understand it correctly then the government plan is to block
> only a subset of the ACMA list.

As far as I'm aware, the Government has never made any such
claim.  There have been times when they've incorrectly asserted
that they want to block illegal content, but those moments come in
the same interviews, articles and papers which show that they
lack an understanding of the difference between "illegal" and
ACMAs "prohibited content" list.

The "Labor's Plan for Cyber Safety" document, Conroy's remarks
to the press on Dec 29 2007, Conroy's Jul 28 2008 press release,
Tim Marshall's comments to Computerworld on Oct 13 2008,
Conroy in the Senate on Oct 20 2008, Conroy on ABC Radio National
"Media Report" on Oct 30 2008, Conroy in Question Time on Nov 10 2008,
the DBCDE "live trials" Technical Testing Framework, Conroy's
"Superblogger" article, and Conroy's appearance in Senate Estimates
on Feb 23 2009 all make it clear that the target of the mandatory
first-tier blacklist is not "illegal" material, but is actually the ACMA
prohibited content list.

Cites for the above:
http://www.alp.org.au/download/labors_plan_for_cyber_safety.pdf
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/31/2129471.htm
http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2008/060
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/263637/no_opt-_filtered_internet
http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/S11346.pdf
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/mediareport/stories/2008/2405376.htm
http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/tv/senator-ludlam-questions-minister-conroy-internet-censorship
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/89160/technical-testing-framework.pdf
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25068568-5013046,00.html
http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/s11635.pdf

It has been said that they've been in the process of changing
their mind to only block a subset of the ACMA blacklist;  But it
hasn't been said by the ALP themselves, only by surrogates and
proxies.

For what it's worth, if one works on the expectation that the blacklist
is always going to be leaked regardless of what's on it, then I'd
suggest that tightening the definitions to only include child porn
would be a thoroughly foolish move -- It'd turn the current farce into
a bona-fide, accurate, up-to-date directory of child abuse imagery.

   - mark
    [ speaking on his own behalf ]

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Pty Ltd                         Desk:   +61-8-82282999