[AusNOG] BGP injection / IP Hijacking / Peer Trust

Sean K. Finn Sean.Finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu Aug 28 12:57:45 EST 2008

Hi  Jason,

I agree. It really becomes a question of 'Are my routes valid from those that I am accepting them from'? No matter where the routes come from.

Just for clarification, when I refer to 'peering' I'm also including ISP<->ISP NON-FREE Peering, i.e. paid-for-transit links, or a one-to-one relationship.

(Which may or may not filter your bgp in/out requests / advertisements). I.e. An operator at PAKISTAN TELECOM made a typo with a route, and the relationship between Pakistan Telecome and STIX (SingTel Internet Exchange) was one of trust and non-filtering. Being and Optus Customer, with Optus owned by SingTel, Optus appears to natively trusts announcements on STIX, we had a /24  knocked off the net for a couple of hours until we got the message far enough along the line to fix it up.

Multilateral peering being something like PIPE where it can be  a  one to many  or many to many relationship.

Multilateral peering reminds me of an old poem:

There once was a vampire named Drouin,
Who took a succubus back to his room.
They argued all night,
Over who had the right,
To suck what, and from where, and from whom.

-S