[AusNOG] What does an IPv6 broadband service look like?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun Aug 3 21:23:01 EST 2008

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2008, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>> I've got dual stack ADSL at home too, but, this doesn't really answer my
>> question - what is the typical consumer level dual stack service going
>> to look like.  What are the assumptions people are going to make and
>>

> I've been playing with IPv6 stuff recently and one of my questions is what
> the hell client-side DNS names are going to look like.

All good questions.

There are some relatively easy ways to generate reverse/forward mappings
from patterns for IPv6 space - so you don't ever do much - just map the
IPv6 space onto something else:

eg.  2001:44b8:60:c000:e854:16a4:da3:c001 becomes
c000e85416a4da3c001.user.internode.on.net etc.

(I thought BIND had support for this, but looking through the manual I
can't really find something similar to what I thought a combination of
$GENERATE and wildcard might work)

DDNS is one option - but what does one set it to?  Most customers
wouldn't like <hex digits>.username.internode.on.net as the default
forward/reverse as they're paranoid about people not knowing who they
are.   The security implications and complexity of allowing customers to
set it via some protocol hurts the head a bit.

I don't really think doing per user delegation of IPv6 reverse mappings
is sane either - which gets back to the whole thing of IPv6 space -
static or not for most customers etc.

MMC