[AusNOG] Foxtel v Opticomm

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 13:01:14 EST 2020

This is an interesting issue that may not be easily resolved.

According to Foxtel docs like
https://www.foxtel.com.au/content/dam/foxtel/support/pdf/FXTL-T-0219%20Satellite%20Multistacker%20Installation%20Requirements%20Issue%201%20rev....pdf
the satellite transponder frequencies span 950-2350MHz, so the RF overlay
used to put the complete signal on the FTTH network would require 1400Mhz
of bandwidth to provide the same analogue 1:1 transport.

If you look at a product used to convert RF overlay in the customer
premises like https://www.c-cor.com.au/product/ipcor-on120-ftth-mini-node/
, it "only" supports 1002Mhz of bandwidth. I imagine that it's difficult to
increase this with simple active optical components that work with existing
splitters, not to mention it would involve a truck roll to every premises
to replace.

A way to address this limitation would be to re-modulate the signal at the
fibre head-end, but that would require both the customer STB to know the
new channels and additional active equipment to maintain. A classical pay
tv stand-off might result over who pays for this equipment, sharpened by
declining cable tv subscriber numbers that threaten to make such a project
never recover its costs.

It might also be possible to add a second RF overlay to cheaply provide the
additional channels, but that would be a bit of a hack and turn customer
premises into an xWDM node..

John