[AusNOG] NBN to offshore NOC?

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Thu Mar 16 19:50:23 AEDT 2023

On 16/3/23 4:06 pm, Luke Thompson wrote:
> NOC offshoring is nightmare territory - depending on how it's done. The
> national broadband network ought to be just that.

I'll mostly agree with that.

Pure NOC offshoring isn't great. Splitting a NOC into two or three sites
for follow-the-sun coverage can work really well if smartly managed,
saves trying to find good staff for a night shift, although of course it
does add plenty of issues on its own.

Even just NOC remote from engineering, having a NOC in Brisbane, but
engineering all done out of Melbourne has plenty of issues if you don't
work strongly to ensure the various people actually talk to each other.

Or, if you're large enough, first tier separate from second can be much
the same.

I'm currently working with our corporate network group, and it's my
constant lament that I can't just sit in a room where their NOC folk are
working to learn the things that aren't getting escalated, processes
that don't quite work properly, and other things I might not see from
reading their tickets. (The reasons why I can't just do this are long
and far off topic for this)

If NBN were spinning up a NOC in the UK, Ireland, or possibly the
US/Canada east coast that could be a very good idea, but it wouldn't be
the cheap one.

If NBN are shifting things done in Australia as an attempt at a cost
saving, I doubt it really will by the time all relevant costs are
considered.