[AusNOG] Optus Hack

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:50:49 AEST 2022

I'm hesitant to go down the punishment/penalties route, because it isn't a
lack of consequence which defines and allows for such breaches to occur.
I've never been involved with the response to a breach where the company
has gone "big deal, its just customer data!", rather they are all too aware
that they are now in an unexpected fight for their corporate lives. These
events can kill entire businesses, but that realisation often only comes to
the board and key decision makers when they're sitting in the war room
having it all laid on the table for them.

What seems to be the pervasive mentality is more akin to "it will never
happen to us". Sort of similar to assuming you'll drive to work and not be
involved in a car accident. The collection of the data and the construction
and growth of the systems that are involved is often organic and comes
under business as usual, so like a frog slowly being brought to a boil they
never really think about exactly what they are custodians of. Add to that
the tendency for government policy to come along and mandate the
requirements to collect certain sensitive information because the policies
have been written along the lines of "one size fits all (badly)" and we
have this recipe for disaster.

How many on this list can turn around and look at their own information
handling policies and say hand-on-heart (or other important body part) that
they're only storing what they need to, and that more importantly the
sensitive components of that data are 100% secure?

I'd suggest in the wake of this whole mess, it might be a good idea to go
have a talk to the relevant people inside your various businesses and start
thinking about how to run tabletop exercises on what would happen should a
breach occur, and how it might happen. There will be people in the
technical teams who should be able to identify risk points and flaws, not
only in the technology but also in the processes and procedures. Collect
those, build some scenarios and act them out in a simulation.
Fear is a great motivator, and the knowledge that these breaches and the PR
disaster that Optus experienced this time around can be business-killers
should be a good start to getting some buy-in on dealing with these issues
particularly given how fresh it is in everyone's minds. For the
accountant/beancounter/finance types, just remind them that cost of
remediation is always far higher than cost of protection and prevention!