[AusNOG] Optus Hack

Brad Gould brad.gould at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:25:24 AEST 2022

I think the only remaining way forward is to enact heavy penalties for
these incidents.

Industry self-regulation and codes of conduct have repeatedly failed.

I also fully understand that the Government has unwisely placed a
requirement to collect and retain personal information, and on some levels
poor policy put forward by security agencies has contributed to these
terrible, predictable, outcomes. I'll also add that there is a similar lack
of political accountability, so as an industry, we should be shouting at
every opportunity that the Government required collection and retention of
the data in the first place.

The large companies that have breaches are not typically failing because
solutions are hard, its because of lack of corporate-level care.

Forcing Health and Safety obligations and penalties upon upper corporate
management has seen business culture fundamentally change for the better.
The same kind of legislation frameworks need to be introduced with regards
to privacy..   .