[AusNOG] Diagramming Networks in 2022 - Should it be this hard?

Shaun Deans shaun at kadeo.com.au
Mon Oct 10 12:40:44 AEDT 2022

Jason.

Prefix: I'm making a total assumption on why your diagramming your infra. If I've missed the point then please accept my apology and I hope this may help someone else.

If the reason for diagramming is to document configuration have you thought about implementing an online configuration tool like Netbox ( https://github.com/netbox-community/netbox ) ?

> ​ NetBox is the leading solution for modeling and documenting modern
> networks. By combining the traditional disciplines of IP address
> management (IPAM) and datacenter infrastructure management (DCIM) with
> powerful APIs and extensions, NetBox provides the ideal "source of truth"
> to power network automation. Available as open source software under the
> Apache 2.0 license, NetBox is employed by thousands of organizations
> around the world.

This tool has heaps of plugins including one for topology rendering ( https://github.com/mattieserver/netbox-topology-views ) (example below).

The benefit I see for a tool like Netbox is that it's 'always live' and also contains audit logs for configuration changes which helps as well.

The fact that its got so many plugins allows for automatic deployment and detection of config drift if documentation isn't up to scratch.

I understand that moving to an online tool may introduce the ' can't access the online tool due to network being down ' issue however I'm sure these documents could be exported via cron on a schedule to a s3 bucket or something similar.

Again if I've missed the need for the diagrams vs a config tool I'd love to understand the use of the diagrams to have another shot!

Cheers

Shaun