[AusNOG] Defunct copper

Jim Woodward jim at alwaysnever.net
Thu May 5 10:07:14 AEST 2022

On 05-05-2022 07:20, Andrew Fort wrote:

> Once it reaches the ground, call 1100 :)
>
> On Wed, 4 May 2022, 5:11 pm Chris Chaundy, <chris.chaundy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A little off-topic but does anyone know how you can get Telstra to
>> remove defunct overhead copper cabling?  Our area has been switched to
>> NBN but all cabling (power, NBN fibre and legacy Telstra copper is
>> strung on power poles in that order from top to bottom.  Now I really
>> DO mean bottom - the old copper is hanging down from the poles through
>> bushes and along the ground at the top of my property (it may get
>> accidentally tangled up in my brush-cutter one day :-).
>>
>> Seriously, it is a nuisance/hazard and I don't think that I have the
>> strength or patience to attempt to deal with this through 'Telstra
>> faults'!

When I had a phone line break free of its primary pole mount and drop to
the point where I could touch it from the footpath outside my house I
called 13 22 03 and had Telstra come out, they removed the line from the
premesis side all the way back to the pole adjacent to the house on the
other side of the road. Since I have FTTP there was no need to maintain
it.

They came out within 24 hrs to remove it, details for that line below:

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/report-damage-to-telstra-equipment

Kind Regards,

Jim.