[AusNOG] NBN FTTP router recommendations 200MBps+

Jim Woodward jim at alwaysnever.net
Wed May 4 11:33:24 AEST 2022

On 04-05-2022 09:43, Mitch Kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While the feedback may ot have been Helpful, It does remind us that
> Just because someone doesnt like a brand, Does Not make it unsuitable
> for use, in certain situations.
>
> Personally i dislike Mikrotik, its clunky and uncustomizable. Equally I
> dislike Ubnt for their Firmware breaking images and lack of
> acknowledging game-breaking issues. But they both have their place in
> Networking.
>
> If you want to stick with Cisco, perhaps look at the Cisco ISR1100
> Range, While they are only 4G, They may suit the purpose and replace
> the aging 1900's
>
> Be Brand Agnostic. No one product will do everything perfect.

I agree with your last statement there, be brand agnostic, right tool
for the right job, Mikrotik is an excellent CPE choice and in certain
cases edge and core devices.

Use devices to their strengths, I'll choose Cisco, Juniper, HPE/Aruba or
Mikrotik where required, ultimately it comes down to what fits your
budget and what you're happy to support.

I will also state that I am not a fan of UBNT in anything other than
edge wireless where the project meets the requirements for the task, I
simply do not have the confidence in their routing platform.

Kind Regards,

Jim.