[AusNOG] Optus routing/internet issues

Mark Dignam mark at innaloo.net
Fri Jun 24 13:58:58 AEST 2022

Yah, here's me thinking I was alone.  Let put what I added to their service
portal early this morning....  (after encountering the same head-banging as
you)

> We have two external IP feeds, one via Telstra (AS1221) and one via Optus
(AS7474), DC Two is AS132145.
> Using BGP AS-path stacking, we balance the inbound feed between the two,
and use a round-robin for
> outbound path selection.

> Something broke within either Optus or Telstra last night around 19:00
Perth time (that's +0800GMT), with
> one of the providers  "stealing" our BGP routes which stopped us seeing a
large of the internet. If I turned
> off the Telstra pipe, nothing changed. If I turned off the Optus pipe,
everything came back. (well, mostly
> everything) So I left it like that for overnight.

> Now, I currently have "deny all" filters for both inbound and outbound in
place on our BGP config for Optus.
> The only place you can see a path to AS132145 is via AS1221 according to
various Looking Glasses around the world.

> The issue is that external clients with Optus connections (NBN, Mobile and
Fixed data) can not connect to us,
> they are NOT being sent via a path to Telstra, they are being blocked from
accessing AS132145.

Mark.