[AusNOG] Telstra customer routers contact

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:07:19 AEST 2022

If these are the Telstra smart modems they provide with NBN connections, I
have a particular loathing for them as of late. Thanks to the joys of
providing friends and family with tech support I've encountered way too
many of these devices which just stop transmitting on the 2.4ghz spectrum,
leaving consumers with only the 5-5.8ghz spectrum available for use. The
inevitable result of that is poorer propagation indoors, so the user cranks
the power of the 5-5.8ghz transmitter right up to make up for the loss of
the 2.4ghz signal. Worst of all Telstra won't admit there is a problem with
their routers, and after hours of "diagnostic" over the phone which
consists of telling them to reset it and wait a few hours, then expects
each end user to unplug the router and bring it into a Telstra shop to be
diagnosed.... No amount of explaining the thing is literally not
transmitting a 2.4ghz signal seems to get through to them!

I'm pretty sure its a firmware issue, as the router can still see devices
and other networks on 2.4ghz, it just won't transmit on it!

Anyway, rant over (for now). Consider me triggered by Telstra smart
modems...