[AusNOG] More legislative interventions

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Wed Apr 10 08:05:57 EST 2019

The other part is that all the politicians keep whining about the
dominance of Facebook and Google.
Then they pass a law which effectively cements their dominance in place.

Facebook and Google are at a size where they can actually put some
serious money and effort in to these kinds of video analysis.
Sure it still sucks, but they can at least attempt to do it.

If I had a novel idea involving live streaming, I make a start up and it
becomes popular.
But a small start up in Australia has no hope of approaching the types
of analysis that Facebook and Google can do.

The politicians just use the same arguments they use with cryptography.
"We pass the laws, you guys are smart and have algorithms. We are sure
you can figure out how to comply."

What the government should be doing is producing the video analysis
algorithms themselves.
Then the law can state that online companies must use their model to be
compliant with the law.
The responsibility then falls on to the government, startups are on
equal footing as the dominant companies and complying is relatively easy.

But that solution is hard (arguably unsolvable at the moment) and when
the model inevitably fails the government wouldn't be able to make a
bogeyman out of the big tech companies.

On 9/4/19 9:33 pm, andy at coastalaudio.com.au wrote:
> Let's see this wonderful "fingerprint" Paul...
>
> Video fingerprinting is used for copyright purposes and is of no use in
> detecting "suspect" videos.
> The AI algorithm required to do this would require a lot of processing
> power.
> Just how is a provider supposed to finance the development of said
> algorithm...?
> And then apply it in real time across an entire network?
> The computational power required would be enormous, thus YouTube's abject
> failure in this area.
>
> Open NSFW is an open source neural network that struggles with static
> images...
> How is a provider supposed to monitor video in real time?
>
> An interesting Open NSFW talk here -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Bmt7tksvM
>
> Andy

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Email 	nick at agentpoint.com <mailto:nick at agentpoint.com>
Phone 	02 8039 6820 <tel:0280396820>
Website 	www.agentpoint.com.au <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>

Agentpoint <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>
Netpoint <https://netpoint.group/>

Level 3, 100 Harris Street, Pyrmont NSW 2009 	Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/agentpoint/> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/agentpoint> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/Agentpoint/> Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/agentpoint-pty-ltd>