[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:23:31 EST 2018

Provision 28(1) amending the Surveillance Devices Act would already
authorise data access for any senior officer of the law enforcement
agencies.

50 After subsection 28(1)
Insert:
(1A) A law enforcement officer may apply to an appropriate authorising
officer for an emergency authorisation for access to data held in a
computer (the target computer) if, in the course of an investigation of a
relevant offence, the law enforcement officer reasonably suspects that:
(a) an imminent risk of serious violence to a person or substantial damage
to property exists; and
(b) access to data held in the target computer is immediately necessary for
the purpose of dealing with that risk; and
(c) the circumstances are so serious and the matter is of such urgency that
access to data held in the target computer is
warranted; and
(d) it is not practicable in the circumstances to apply for a computer
access warrant.

I was pretty gob smacked.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins