[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:51:20 EST 2018

I guess the point is Paul, the Attorney General's Department and/or CAC
could fulfill this
function, if the bill were drafted that way. There's also need for a budget
for the staff and infrastructure.

However it's clear the intent and current direction is for individual
agencies to approach service providers directly, eg:

32(2)(2A) An emergency authorisation for access to data held in a computer
may authorise anything that a computer access warrant may authorise.

Where the emergency authorisation can be issued by any senior officer from
an array of law enforcement agencies, including the police.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins