[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:00:51 EST 2018

"Given that Dutton was straight on the band wagon within hours of the
events in Melbourne last week. Im sure this will be railroaded through and
any opposition will be called out as "weak national security policy".  I
think the chances of this not going though as first read now is gone from
slim to none."

Matt,
I can't see that Parliament, collectively, is that reckless. First, since
Phelp's won Wentworth, the Bill can't pass the Lower House without Labor
complicity. If Labor passes it in the Lower House, it means they endorse
the policy. I really think there's going to be a roadblock there. Then
there was always the problem of numbers in the Upper House. They need I
think one? crossbencher to get over the line.

All of which flies in the face of serious weight of industry and human
rights organisations saying this is a very bad idea - including the PJCHR.
This is no longer just a question of numbers, those who support this Bill
will be held responsible by history.

Internet Architecture Board (IAB):
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=be04f858-96b3-4eb9-bab6-22a60c0dffdd&subId=660942
Digital Industry Group Inc (DIGI):
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=d48c3c35-221d-4544-a7d7-109a82c72dc1&subId=661549
BSA | The Software Alliance:
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=77cc255e-1851-409e-b8b6-6cce08e3b6ab&subId=661056

Law Council of Australia:
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=859d9cda-0f99-4bef-994f-edc6006c87bf&subId=661321
Joint Councils for Civil Liberties:
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=6a26c1ce-15f3-4229-9b45-dd4ad7cfb8f2&subId=661197
Australian Human Rights Commission:
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=a7b9ff25-7c09-41e9-b97a-56dae1ac0e94&subId=661055
PJCHR,starts @ p24:
https://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/Committees/Senate/committee/humanrights_ctte/reports/2018/Report%2011/c01.pdf?la=en
<https://www.aph.gov.au/%7E/media/Committees/Senate/committee/humanrights_ctte/reports/2018/Report%2011/c01.pdf?la=en>
United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy:
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=8012483f-e421-41a7-8bd4-1e8eb5eb39eb&subId=661745

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins