[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 12:41:42 EST 2018

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> "Given that Dutton was straight on the band wagon within hours of the events in Melbourne last week. Im sure this will be
> railroaded through and any opposition will be called out as "weak national security policy".  I think the chances of this not
> going though as first read now is gone from slim to none."
>
> Matt,
> I can't see that Parliament, collectively, is that reckless. First, since Phelp's won Wentworth, the Bill can't pass the Lower
> House without Labor complicity. If Labor passes it in the Lower House, it means they endorse the policy. I really think there's
> going to be a roadblock there. Then there was always the problem of numbers in the Upper House. They need I think one?
> crossbencher to get over the line.
>
> All of which flies in the face of serious weight of industry and human rights organisations saying this is a very bad idea -
> including the PJCHR. This is no longer just a question of numbers, those who support this Bill will be held responsible by
> history.

And Labor is pushing back:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/14/labor-accuses-peter-dutton-of-lying-to-politicise-national-security

Also if you're talking short notice, the bill to force search engines to
remove piracy-related search results and mirror sites, Copyright Amendment
(Online Infringement) Bill 2018 is now open for submissions, closing
Tuesday 20 November (less than a week all up).

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Environment_and_Communications/OnlineInfringementBill

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |