[AusNOG] [AUSNOG] o365 experience

Brenden Cruikshank brenden at cruikshank.com.au
Tue Jun 19 12:37:45 EST 2018

Paul,

Tell us about your existing environment (Exchange 2010/2013/2016)? Whats
your uplink speed? The number of mailboxes? Total mailbox size?

I had Exchange 2010, 50mb uplink and 3Tb of mail to migrate, it was
stressful as this link was also our internet WAN link too.

In the end, I migrated 200 users with Microsoft fast-track support and we
had a successful migration project and decommissioned the 2010 environment
and our netbox blue spam appliance.

We are only using Exchange Online and OneDrive for Business and its great;
I no longer need to manage exchange and deal with the frequent outages we
had on the 2010 setup I inherited.

It requires lots of planning as I don't think users were ever deleted
before I started.

We had an Optus "managed" network we found Optus aggressively traffic
shaping Office 365 which caused Outlook to lock up continuously and it was
a very poor end-user experience until we put in faster links (with another
ISP).

We have a hybrid configuration so we still use an Exchange 2016 VM to
manage users, You should be matched your UPN to your SMTP address, we had
to rename 200 users to firstname.lastname which wasn't fun but that's a
part of planning your migration.

The only thing missing with Office 365 is the basic spam and virus
protection/security is pretty poor. So we're looking at deploying a cloud
email security service next FY.

Cheers
Brenden