[AusNOG] ADSL SLA Reference Material Required

paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
Mon Mar 20 16:35:36 EST 2017

No better explanation really.

Paul

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Nathan Brookfield
Sent: Monday, 20 March 2017 4:31 PM
To: Cameron Murray; ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] ADSL SLA Reference Material Required

No SLA unless their is an alternate path (4G etc) you're absolutely on the money.  ADSL is a 'Consumer Grade' and 'Best Effort' service, something I have to tell cheap customers weekly.

Tell them an EoC or EFM is their next best option which you can provide an SLA on easily and effectively but they need to pay for it, if they want to pay for a consumer grade service they need to factor in the consequences such a choice and do a cost benefit analysis of how much downtime hurts them financially.  If it doesn't then stop whinging, if it does well put your money where your mouth is and get a service with an SLA.

It can be a hard balancing act of trying to satisfy the client but at the same time saving your sanity, I think most of us have had the identical conversation with customers at least once.

Kindest Regards,
Nathan Brookfield (VK2NAB)

Chief Executive Officer
Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd