[AusNOG] Government intends to pass TSSR this parliament

Ben Buxton bb.ausnog at bb.cactii.net
Fri Jun 16 12:12:36 EST 2017

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thales nShield Connect provides FIPs 140-2 grade security to distributed
>> hosts. Keys are distributed using an encrypted remote file system.
>>
>> So people advising government will be thinking of architectures where a
>> government escrow server is an additional client.

Sure, your business might have to bend to the will of Brandis, but
WhatsApp, Viber and other overseas based services that the turrrusts use
will just scoff at our laws, mutter "morons", and continue on their merry
way.

Why do the pollies continue to live in a fantasy world where Australian law
applies to foreign entities with no presence here? (Ref: new foreign GST)

it Moore's law, technical advances, and the march of time, it's inevitable
>> one day you'll need a license to run crypto services.

Not overseas based services - which almost all messaging ones are.

>> And I find the assumption of bad faith from government bewildering. It's
>> been said democracy is a terrible system, it's just better than all other
>> systems of government. But you hardly have grounds to complain if you won't
>> engage in constructive public debate, which is how government policy
>> actually happens, regardless of what some might think.

As MMC states, the pollies have to first be interested in public debate and
making decisions based on this. All discussion to date around these areas
is not about evolving policy and the like, but just brushing off the
public's concerns.
Notice how every interview is about them defending a retarded policy,
rather than how they are evolving them based on input..?

BB