[AusNOG] Optus cuts of pre-paid customers because they are introducing new plans

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:08:46 EST 2016

On 26 September 2016 at 13:26, James Hodgkinson <yaleman at ricetek.net> wrote:
> It's curious that when we discuss free data for Netflix et al, people
> consider that to be abhorrent, but now having social media count as much
> as any other data is a game-changer.

I find both abhorrent. It is giving the largest organisations, who
need it the least, an advantage over their smaller competitors who
should have the advantage if any advantages are going to be given out.
It is an ISP selecting winners.

If you want to offer a better deal to customers than your competitors,
while also being fair, offer a bigger quota to all customers for them
to use as they like rather than zero-metering some specific content -
and you avoid the cost of the infrastructure and billing system
complexity to zero-meter which is non-trivial. Providing increased
value to customers should instead be as simple as updating quota
values in a database.

I don't know if this is a well known business rule, however it would
seem to me that you should never significantly increase your capex and
opex costs to then be able to give away more of your product for free.
It just seems logically contradictory.

Regards,
Mark.