[AusNOG] Fwd: RFC 8028 on First-Hop Router Selection by Hosts in a Multi-Prefix Network

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:49:23 EST 2016

This RFC specifies how a host can use IPv6 RA Prefix Information Options to
influence host source address selection and first hop router selection when
there are multiple first hop routers in a multi-homed network.

This could be seen as the routing system providing hints to hosts on the
topology of the network, so that hosts can pick a router that will give
them better service, and a source address that will pass through upstream
BCP38 filters or middleboxes that effectively filter on source addresses
such as network firewalls.