[AusNOG] Zoho Mail - SPF & DKIM Records...

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Nov 27 06:23:05 EST 2016

Further from that, if you have DMARC enabled, and also have DMARC exception
reporting enabled, expect to be spammed with a copy of every email your
domain sends to bigpond customers who have opted into outlook.com accounts
for their bigpond email.  The bigpond/outlook integration seems a little
broken, and outlook.com reports a DMARC violation on every email.  Gets
VERY annoying.

On 26 November 2016 at 15:00, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 at 07:27 Christian Heinrich wrote:
>
>> You might also want to consider DMARC too after you have configured SPF
>> and DKIM
>>

> Not if you want to participate on this mailing list.
>
> Unlike SPF, which only authenticates the envelope sender, DMARC enforces
> the correct servers for the "From" header as well.
>
> This means if you participate in a mailing list that doesn't set
> dmarc_moderation_action to "Munge From" like, say, AusNOG which runs an
> outdated version of Mailman that doesn't support the feature, you will find
> your messages start to get marked as spam in the inboxes of users of
> DMARC–respecting mail services (like, say, Gmail).
>
> This is due to a fundamental design of DMARC. This means your choices are
> to either (a) only participate in mailing lists which are willing to munge
> your From address, or (b) don't set a "reject" or "quarantine" policy in
> your DMARC settings (which kind of defeats the point).

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.