[AusNOG] NBN

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 18:20:25 EST 2016

On 22 Nov. 2016 11:33 am, "Alex Samad" <alex at samad.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> there was some talk about our network being able to handle amazon video
coming to oz.

> I'm thinking this might have more of an impact
>
> http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/21/13703152/netflix-4k-pc-windows-support
>
> All those 4k tv's being sold..

How many are actually being sold and how many are actually big enough for
how close people sit to them for those people to benefit?

To sit a normal distance of at least 6 feet away, you need a 70"+ screen to
actually benefit. Smaller 4K TVs look great in the shop because you're
standing much closer to the screen.

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

> from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
> Streaming video[edit]
>
> YouTube, since 2010,[67] and Vimeo allow a maximum upload resolution
of 4096 × 3072 pixels (12.6 megapixels, aspect ratio 4:3)

> High Efficiency Video Coding should allow the streaming of content with a
4K resolution with a bandwidth of between 20 and 30 Mbps.[72]

> Not sure what the current average DSL connection is . But all your going
to need is 2 kids (teenagers) and ....

> if only it hadn't become politicised

No even wrong.

CVC cost is the problem not FTTN. Changing to a literal 100% FTTP network
would not solve that problem and would make it worse - NBNco have to pay
for thosr loans somehow or other.