[AusNOG] NBN

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:50:09 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Alex Samad <alex at samad.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> there was some talk about our network being able to handle amazon video
> coming to oz.
>
> I'm thinking this might have more of an impact
>
> http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/21/13703152/netflix-4k-pc-windows-support
>
> All those 4k tv's being sold..

You'll note from that article the announcement is about 4K Netflix support
on PCs.

As it stands, 4K has been out there for ages and it works on a bunch of TVs
- I can confirm it works nicely at my place, albeit as long as my housemate
isn't also attempting to watch anything on any of his devices. Not enough
bandwidth :( No idea what the breakdown is of Netflix being viewed natively
on TV via built-in apps, being viewed via Chromecast/PS4 and finally those
via PCs. Would be interesting to know.

I don't think there's going to be a massive surge though as Amazon enter
the market, just more growth (always, more growth!).