[AusNOG] Data Retention - are you kidding me??

Ben Buxton bb.ausnog at bb.cactii.net
Tue Nov 22 17:08:24 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:

> But in the case of SMTP it is a TCP Communication between a Client and a
> Server, so in light of that I think it would be incomplete, not to log the
> client IP at a bare minimum.

It doesn't matter what detail you think needs to be logged. It only matters
what the CAC think. Clearly it seems some/many/most providers have gotten
DRIPs approved without SMTP port numbers being logged.

Therefore it's compliant with the legislation to not include ports, so
you're just giving the gummit more data than they need.

BB