[AusNOG] Data Retention - are you kidding me??

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Tue Nov 22 16:06:09 EST 2016

On 22/11/2016 3:48 PM, Sam Silvester wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org
> <mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org>> wrote:
>

>     “Identifiers of a related account” can be a username, or a full name, or a name
>     and an address or somesuch (aka “any other service or device identifier known to
>     the provider that uniquely identifies the source of the communication.”)
>
>     It can’t be “the IP address and port number allocated to the subscriber or
>     device connected to the internet…” because you’re an ISP, you don’t allocate
>     port numbers, that’s the job of the applications running on the users’ devices.
>
>     How on earth are you harvesting port numbers?
>

> Sure it can be.
>
> Customer A might have a CGNAT outside IP 192.0.2.1 port range 10001 to 11000
> Customer B might have a CGNAT outside IP 192.0.2.1 port range 20001 to 21000
>
> So in this case, it's important to keep track of both the IP as well as the
> port/port range assigned to the user at the time.
>
> Sam

Sure - and this information would all be relevant to an "Internet access service" -
along with RADIUS or TACACS logs for PPP logins if that's how you implement your
'Internet access service' - if you are served with a data request relating to Internet
connection attempts.

But for your 'email messaging service', and in answering a query about one or more
email messages?  Nope.

Paul.