[AusNOG] Data Retention - are you kidding me??

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Nov 22 15:41:24 EST 2016

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 3:27 PM, David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:
>
> https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/Dataset.pdf <https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/Dataset.pdf>
>
> 2. The source of a communication
> Identifiers of a related account, service or device from which a communication has been sent or attempted to be sent by means of the relevant service.

“Identifiers of a related account” can be a username, or a full name, or a name and an address or somesuch (aka “any other service or device identifier known to the provider that uniquely identifies the source of the communication.”)

It can’t be “the IP address and port number allocated to the subscriber or device connected to the internet…” because you’re an ISP, you don’t allocate port numbers, that’s the job of the applications running on the users’ devices.

How on earth are you harvesting port numbers?

  - mark