[AusNOG] Data Retention - are you kidding me??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Nov 16 15:13:26 EST 2016

Had a call a short while back... I think I've got the details right, but I
sure hope I've got something wrong....

ISP had a senior constable come in with a request for data.
Request had been signed by said senior constable.

As I understand the (meta)data retention legislation, a request has to be
signed by a senior officer (commissioner or thereabouts), or a minister
etc.

I suggested to the ISP that I thought the request was not valid but to
check it with the CAC. Had a call back a while later that basically the
ACMA said to honour the request, and that if there was a problem "it would
be caught in the audit later".

This scares the pants off me.... if we're being told to just give the data
out to low-level shitkickers with no senior level oversight or control,
there's going to be no end of vexatious queries, fishing expeditions and
trivial requests. Who's going to get banged up if we disclose private
information that turns out (later) to have been given incorrectly? How
will the damage to affected person(s) be undone?

A highly, HIGHLY dangerous precedent. (This was a smaller non-metro ISP in
a fairly out-of-the-way part of the world, perhaps for the very reason
that if it blows up in their face they can hide it more effectively than
if it was a large, highly visible isp).

R.