[AusNOG] Network analyser

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:31:20 EST 2016

On 9 Nov. 2016 2:51 pm, "Jason Firmino" <jason.firmino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can any of you gentleman/women share some light on a network analyser for
billing purposes?

> I was looking at things like netflow = Too expensive.
> NtopNG = Looked like I may have some load issues.
>
> Basically I need to start billing traffic to a couple of customers based
on IP address and I want something reliable.

More details would help.

Layer 2 isolating customers (physically or virtually) is better for
security and gives you per customer counters that are layer 3 protocol
agnostic.

More broadly, the best billing point is the point of attachment for the
individual customers or any other upstream points where individual customer
traffic hasn't yet been aggregated. So if your customers are attached to
the same layer 3 subnet, but individual and distinct switch ports, count
their traffic at the distinct customer switch port.

(IP addresses can be spoofed, as can be MAC addresses. The efforts to
prevent that sort of spoofing is likely to be better spent on layer 2
isolation and/or counting at points of attachment.)

Also something cheap or free would be sweet :D