[AusNOG] bigpond mail problems?

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Mon Nov 7 16:56:07 EST 2016

On 7 November 2016 at 16:26, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-11-07 at 15:48 +1100, James Gray wrote:
> > Unable to relay mail via Telstra's SMTP servers. Postfix is claiming
> > "Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
> > name=smtp.telstra.com type=MX: Host not found, try again" but doing a
> > manual session to "smtp.telstra.com" from a TID service works fine
> > (both unencrypted TCP/25 and encrypted TCP/465).
>
> Why would you be looking up an MX record for smtp.telstra.com? Nobody
> has addresses @smtp.telstra.com, do they?

Nope - and totally agree. Why the hell Postfix is generating that error as
of today has got me beat and until I checked on AusNOG spent a bit of time
trying to "fix" it too. Seems whatever the cause is not on their Postfix
server setup (which has been working for the last 2 years with that mail
relay). Like I said, manual SMTP session with the relay works, but none of
the mail servers I administer do. Very frustrating.

Cheers,

James