[AusNOG] Merchant facilities, card services closure, etc.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Jul 27 15:39:24 EST 2016

I'm guessing there's still a few of the "smaller" operators on this list.

Had a (legit) call from my bank this morning, advising me that the ancient
old "paper" system I've been using for 26 years will cease to exist in
2 months.

Seems the "card services" group (run by the credit card institutions
themselves, not by the banks) is shutting down. I don't have a huge number
of credit card transactions each month, but more than enough that manually
punching them into a phone or POS terminal just ain't gunna happen, and
same for doing it a card at a painful time through some web interface.

My old system used to simply spit out fully printed "merchant summary
slips" that only needed folded and slipped into the provided envelope - no
human interaction beyond a quick visual scan of each page (25 transactions
per page).

I just want a simple system where a card, and an amount, can be shot to
"somewhere" and processed, ideally with a receipt/accepted or
declined/rejected response. One at a time that can be automated, or a
batch, I don't care. Real-time or offline, I don't particularly mind.

I'm happy to change to (or open an additional facility with) another
institution. I don't really care if it's a bank or not, as long as they're
reputable, honest and easy to deal with while setting it up (and their
fees are comparable with or less than I pay now <grin>).

Anyone else facing the same problems? I don't want to go down the
direct-debit route, the majority of my customers currently either send
dead trees, or do EFT, it's just a few hundred cards that linger...

TIA
RossW