[AusNOG] FYI: MANRS Project - Fixing the Internet's routing security is urgent and requires collaboration

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Mon Feb 29 16:31:03 EST 2016

On 29/02/2016 2:07 PM, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> We are however in a very unique situation, where all (ok, most) of our transnational
> traffic travels via a very few submarine cables.
What does this have to do with anything? Do you think submarine cables put a FBR on
each end and do Layer 3 packet checking?
Yes, there are few cables (talk to me about a new one), but each is split up at layer
1 and 2 across tens/hundreds/thousands of ISPs, governments and corporates - a
submarine cable operator won't be doing source IP verification on a customer's
wavelength stream of photons.

Paul.