[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Sep 30 11:01:43 EST 2015

On Sep 30, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Andrew Kitchen <a.kitchen at xi.com.au> wrote:

> I think now we have Malcolm as PM the best thing we can do first is lobby to have the laws taken away from Brandis put them into the Communications portfolio and then have amendments made to bring all these laws into line….

I find the notion that having Turnbull as PM will make any difference to data retention immensely entertaining. Top-shelf WhirlNOG, massively funny.

As soon as the legislation passed both houses, every MP from both major parties put a “Done” tick in the “Data retention” box. They won’t be revisiting it. That’s not how they work.

If you want anything to change, you need to build a community, lobby key decision-makers, turn the status-quo into a painful annoyance for MPs, establish a new consensus. Make it happen. Spend years and dollars on it.  Just like the BCA does when they want new tax laws, just like the MCA does when they want changes to mine approval regulations, just like some of us did when Labor wanted you guys to run a “clean feed."

  - mark