[AusNOG] NBN Rollout Confusion in Glebe NSW CRM:000084250

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Oct 31 17:40:55 EST 2015

'They' was Telstra :)  Though TBH, telstra aren't even vaguely organised
for FTTN as yet :)  Neither is NBNco really.. I was only the second
connection the NBN tech had done..

Yeah, vectoring is required.  I couldn't get sync up at all for the first
couple of hours after the NBN tech had been - until I went looking for
updated firmware, and downloaded the vectoring enabled one.  But two hours
later it dropped and didn't come back..

I called my 'pilot manager' at Telstra to ask if they could check the port
state, and see if maybe it needed a reset or the like, and that was when he
said NBNco didn't allow them to use non-approved modems, and having a
non-approved modem had probably had the port shut down, no he couldn't tell
me the make/model of an approved modem, and I'd just have to wait for my
Telstra tech visit to have the Telstra-supplied modem installed.

So far Telstra's handling of the entire process has been fairly
horrendous.  They're not advising folks when they order that it will mean
they have no phone or internet for 3+ weeks, if they don't have a spare
in-place pair.  They've also just taken everyone on the 'please let us know
when NBN is available in our area' list in our suburb, and simply ordered
FTTN for them with no warning - AND not made any obvious notes on their
accounts - I know a couple of folks in our suburb now who've called Telstra
with no ADSL sync, to be told it must be their modem, and to please go buy
a new modem to try.  And then after that didn't work, they've been told
'Oh, you phoned up to enquire about the NBN a few months ago, so we've gone
ahead and connected you!  You'll now be without any form of phone or
internet for 3-4 weeks until your Telstra tech visit.'

--

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust