[AusNOG] NBN Rollout Confusion in Glebe NSW CRM:000084250

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sat Oct 31 17:31:27 EST 2015

On 31/10/2015 4:23 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> If it's anything like FTTN, you have to use the supplied router. I had FTTN
> installed a fortnight ago. I had sync for two hours on a Draytek Vigor 130, then it
> dropped. Telstra said third party devices aren't allowed, and the port will be
> re-enabled when the Telstra tech comes to complete the install with the
> Telstra-supplied modem.  But annoying as they had told me during ordering that I
> COULD use my own VDSL modem.
Who was "they"? I believe NBN aren't providing CPE, leaving the CPE up to each RSP to
sort out - so you might get "you can use your own CPE" from an NBNco (sorry - an
**nbn**) person.

I've heard Telstra as the RSP are insisting on using only their supplied CPE
(something about certification and testing), so if you were ordering it through
Telstra (retail or wholesale), you can't use your own.

I believe the modem must support full vectoring, with a vectored chipset compatible
with the NBN's DSLAMs  - un-vectored VDSL2 doesn't cut it, and detection of a VDSL2
CPE that doesn't include vector capability will cause the DSLAM or management system
to disable the port, to prevent unvectored interference.

Just ignore that most MDU lines aren't long enough that vectored vs un-vectored makes
a significant difference.

I see the Draytek page says "With firmware version 3.7.5, Vigor130 supports VDSL2
Vectoring" - so perhaps check your firmware, and whether vectoring support was enabled
in the config, and give it another try.

Paul.