[AusNOG] Office Link Needed (Fibre or alike) Sydney

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Fri Oct 23 10:11:06 EST 2015

Ok here¹s how it goes.

1.  Carriers can use their carrier powers to ignore cross-connects from DC
operators and install all the way to the customer premises.  Caveats to this
is where the carrier has come to a commercial arrangements with the DC
operator which over-rides Schedule 3 rights.  Also some DC operators make is
a condition of colo that the customer can only accept interconnects from the
DC operator.  This doesn¹t stop the carrier from installing, but it may stop
the customer from accepting.  There is also some issues for DC operators
aiming to restrict customers around ³bait and switch² and possibly third
line forcing that can come into play from an ACCC perspective, but that¹s
for another day.
As a carrier we always leave ³nothing in this agreement limits the our
Schedule 3 rights² for example.  I generally use the DC operators cabling,
but this is there in case they go feral and we need to go to war.

2.  Carriers have rights to enter buildings for the delivery of in-building
subscriber purposes.  Carriers have rights to use risers (not just telecom),
MDF rooms, building basements and now even have rights to access power.
This could even have a flow on effect to DC operators (interestingly).  Some
issues around heritage and native title.
Court Case between NBN Co v PIPE is here:
http://ipblog.tglaw.com.au/case-study-nbn-co-v-pipe-networks-2015-nswsc-475

PIPE v 101 Collins St in which PIPE won -
http://www.claytonutz.com/publications/edition/23_may_2013/20130523/faciliti
es_access_case_sets_precedent_that_could_help_carriers_avoid_costs.page
PIPE won the case BUT the NBN was happy with that decision ­ because now the
NBN can rollout their FttN Nodes in the building MDF at no cost, access
their power and point the building owner to this case law as a way to shut
down the owner from trying to extort money from them.

3.  If a carrier incorrectly installs a service across a room without either
notification or approval and it is delivering a telecommunications service
the building owner does not have the right to interupt that service
unilaterally.  That is a Federal offence under the Crimes Act.

4.  Notify ­ order removal (sometimes involves trespass) and if not then go
to court.  BUT the interference of a telecommunications service is a Federal
crime.

5.  Normally under Schedule 3 there is a notification process to go into a
building and install services.  The only caveats to that are if it is for
the supply of services for someone like Defence, the service is down or at
risk of breaking service level.  Yes ­ in some very limited cases carriers
probably do have the right to run a 100m patch lead across a DC floor
without notice to the DC operator if there is an SLA issue.  Keep that in
the back pocket for a rainy dayŠ

Cheers

[b]