[AusNOG] Office Link Needed (Fibre or alike) Sydney

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Oct 23 08:42:50 EST 2015

On 23 October 2015 at 08:29, Jonathan Brewer <jon.brewer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions & comments, if the audience pleases, to help me better
> understand Australian law.
>
> On 23 October 2015 at 06:31, Christopher Pollock <cpollock at twitch.tv>
> wrote:
>

>> Now, to explain a little about how public datacentres often work,
>> generally the colo provider would charge you an exorbinant amount to
>> install cabling between racks or to run patch leads, in the thousands.
>>

> This is how exchanges are run in NZ. You don't get to cross connect by
> yourself. But that's commerce, isn't it? The hotel owner makes the rules.
> If they don't want you partying in the hallways, you don't do it, or you
> get thrown out of the hotel. *Or is it different in Australia?*

These days, no, the DC operator is generally the only one running cables
outside of private suites.  In some older DC's, this is only a fairly new
thing.  Globalswitch, it was only 4-5 years ago that they stopped allowing
third party contractors (we had to have completed a contractor induction
though..) to run cabling at will though.  It pushed the price of cross
connect installs up quite significantly!  (i.e. $1500-2k to GS, as compared
to $750-1k to an inducted cabler)

>> However, anyone with a carrier license & cabling license and the right
>> tools could run up their own in 15 minutes. This happened many times.
>> Thousands of times. I would not be underestimating it to say that there
>> were at least 5,000 unregulated, unregistered cables in that datacentre
>> floor.
>>

> This sounds like madness to me. It happens at Sky Tower Auckland, which is
> just hideous - and the last place one would want to run a non-radio
> production service. *How does a carrier license and cabling license allow
> you to treat private property any way you want?* Does your carrier
> license allow you to cross connect to another carrier in my back-yard? Can
> you just string cables anywhere in Australia you want? These are serious
> questions.

It's the carrier license that allows that ;)  It's the cabling license
which allows you to do the cabling (Carrier license is on the company,
cabling license is on the individual.  An employee of a carrier may run
cable from outside a premises up to the demarc point, but may do NO cabling
internally unless they are also a licensed cabler. (I know of one
canberra-based carrier who ran afoul of this in ~2003 when their
non-licensed lineys were doing internal building cabling, and not filling
in MDF record books (which was what caught them out after a query to the
ACMA on why carriers don't have to fill in record books - result being that
they do, and the ACMA setup something of a sting which resulted in a large
fine))

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Carrier side of things will fill in
the blanks, but if a building owner tries to stop a licensed carrier from
installing a service for one of their customers, they can serve them notice
under the Telecommunications Act, and then take it to court if need be to
enforce their access to the premises.  If your back-yard was the only
access route between a carrier and their customer, then yes, they could
trench through your property, same as an electricity company can run lines
across your farm to serve your neighbour.

--

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust Master Cabler