[AusNOG] Office Link Needed (Fibre or alike) Sydney

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Oct 23 09:10:48 EST 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> If your back-yard was the only access route between a carrier and their
> customer, then yes, they could trench through your property,

There are some conditions, but basically that's as I understand it too.

> same as an electricity company can run lines across your farm to serve
> your neighbour.

This used to be the case, I don't believe it still is. When we built our
home/office/bunker a little over 10 years ago, the power had been
surveyed, quoted and so on, but the previous land owner ended up bailing
on the project and it didn't go ahead. When we tried to pick it up and
continue, the rules had changed and the landowner over whos land it was
going actually has a "right of veto". The power company no longer had
statutory rights to simply barge in and do it. (As a result, we live
completely off-grid, there simply being no viable way to get the power
here without going through the neighbouring property, and the owner of it
refusing to permit it). As far as I know, that's still the situation, at
least in NSW)