[AusNOG] Wow

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 08:38:21 EST 2015

On 2 Oct 2015 7:34 am, "Alex Samad - Yieldbroker" <
Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com> wrote:

> Was I was trying to get at, which obviously I didn’t do a good enough job
of was.

> It looks like the plan is to roll out copper to repair old copper without
looking at or re-evaluating each location.  The mandate is FTTN

No it isn't.

>and some mouthing that they will do fibre to the premise maybe or on a pay
– per – install situation.

> Wouldn’t you  want to re consider each location based upon it merits
instead of coming out with a blanket statement.

> Also my read on Telstra pulling out of the tender off to build
infrastructure says to me they don’t want to touch the copper network at
any cost … But that’s me being a pessimist.

https://delimiter.com.au/2015/10/01/will-nbn-co-be-rolling-brand-new-copper-in-some-places-to-deal-with-fttn-yes-it-will/

> > Not sure how true this is....
> >
> > I suppose replacing 1 pair of  copper might be okay, but at what point
it is cheaper to go fibre.

> This list should try to be objective, which means discounting subjective
arguments that trigger emotional responses from articles such as those that
appear on Delimiter.

> If copper is inherently bad, why don't we have fibre to the desk? Perhaps
the objective reality is that copper is good when it is both adequate and
cost effective?