[AusNOG] NBN’s $800 million Optus network might need to be rebuilt

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Nov 26 12:19:21 EST 2015

In message <CAAGFhy8mognnabNdzwMWaX_Cxk1BqLFSSmjqwY2ysLbHq4b6+g at mail.gmail.com>, Greg Anderson writes:

> What devices would you need to operate with electricity on a passive
> optical network?  The distinct lack of need for any electronic devices in
> the street is surely one of it's strong points?
>
> They could string GPON in the air along power poles as well, but it is
> hideous and requires more maintenance in the long run and it seemed to irk
> a lot of people.  But it would be cheaper to put in and string
>
> Seems to me that we are now paying almost as much for a network that is
> going to last about 10 years before needing significant upgrades at a
> higher ongoing maintenance cost versus a slightly more expensive but much
> more reliable, network (with faster and most importantly more consistent
> speeds) that is likely to last 30-50 years with upgrades that are likely to
> be less significant with lower maintenance costs.
>
> I must just be a fanboi, because I just don't think I will ever 'get' what
> we are being given.  Like, even if I WANT fibre, I won't be able to get
> that speed because the cherry picking laws are going to prevent competing
> companies installing it.  It seems in on fell swoop, the government has
> said "Nobody gets Fibre."
>
> My mind boggles.  Did Australia really vote for this?

No, because that would have required a seperate question on the
ballot paper.  With good government we would have had that question
on the ballot paper rather turning the network into a political
football.  I blame all parties for doing that.

At the moment I'm w/ Optus and I'd just like a option of a DOCSIS
3.0 modem that fully supports IPv6 to replace the current DOCSIS
2.0 modem.  None of the currently supported modems support IPv6.
I really don't want to replace and replace and replace ...

Having the NBN state what CPE equipement they are going to support
sooner rather than later would be a good thing.  Having Optus and
Telstra also support that equipement before the handover would be
better for everyone and result in less waste.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org