[AusNOG] NBN’s $800 million Optus network might need to be rebuilt

Greg Anderson ganderson at raywhite.com
Thu Nov 26 11:24:30 EST 2015

What devices would you need to operate with electricity on a passive
optical network?  The distinct lack of need for any electronic devices in
the street is surely one of it's strong points?

They could string GPON in the air along power poles as well, but it is
hideous and requires more maintenance in the long run and it seemed to irk
a lot of people.  But it would be cheaper to put in and string

Seems to me that we are now paying almost as much for a network that is
going to last about 10 years before needing significant upgrades at a
higher ongoing maintenance cost versus a slightly more expensive but much
more reliable, network (with faster and most importantly more consistent
speeds) that is likely to last 30-50 years with upgrades that are likely to
be less significant with lower maintenance costs.

I must just be a fanboi, because I just don't think I will ever 'get' what
we are being given.  Like, even if I WANT fibre, I won't be able to get
that speed because the cherry picking laws are going to prevent competing
companies installing it.  It seems in on fell swoop, the government has
said "Nobody gets Fibre."

My mind boggles.  Did Australia really vote for this?

On 26 November 2015 at 09:03, John Edwards <jaedwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Australian Cable TV installers in 2013 were paid around $100 to run a drop
> cable from the pole to the premises AND install it to the STB in the lounge
> room. There's even a Facebook page about how little they were paid. 10
> years ago it was as low as $45, and they had to supply materials. Compare
> that to cost-per-premises run rates for FTTH.
>
> One of the benefits that isn't well known about HFC is that it can also
> provide power to devices. Current AEMO rules make it difficult to attempt
> to run simple devices from AC power in the street. In a world where Smart
> City and IOT is a thing, copper connections may well have a revival as they
> are re-used to put battery-less sensors anywhere and everywhere.
>
> John
>

> On 26 November 2015 at 07:49, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> But... one of the things I've always said about HFC... the cost is in
>> getting from the Pole to the Premises.  Everything else is easily
>> upgradable.  So, in hindsight, as NBN I still would have bought it, just
>> maybe paid a lot less.
>>

>> ...Skeeve
>>

>> --
>>
>> Skeeve Stevens - The ISP Guy - Internet Provider SME
>>
>> Email: skeeve at theispguy.com ; Cell: +61(0)414 753 383
>> Skype: skeeve; Blog: TheISPGuy.com <http://theispguy.com/> ; Facebook:
>> TheISPGuy <https://www.facebook.com/theispguy>
>>
>> Linkedin: /in/skeeve <http://www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360:
>> Profile <https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9>
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Robert Hudson <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Those were my thoughts exactly Skeeve. The Optus HFC network has been in
>>> a disgraceful state for years, and anyone who's had any involvement with it
>>> knew that.
>>>
>>> Great to see that NBN did the appropriate levels of due dilligence
>>> before handing over so much money...

*Regards,Greg Anderson*
Senior Network Administrator   |   Ray White Group[image: Ray White]
T(07) 32312121
Whttps://www.raywhite.com
ALevel 26, 111 Eagle Street, BRISBANE QLD 4000